I’m excited to participate in this month’s BlogHer NaBloPoMo or National Blog Posting Month. It’s not the biggest month for blogging, but BlogHer hosts one of these events each month with daily writing prompts as a guide, with this month’s theme of “Self.”
You don’t have to follow the prompts necessarily, though it helps, all you have you do is write a post each day. It’s a pretty big commitment, but I’m going to try to stick with it! I’m already 2 days late, but here goes nothin’.. let’s get started!
5 Interesting Things About Me
1. I’ve moved a total of 14 times in my 25 years. Some places I’ve lived just a few months, others a few years, usually within the same 40 miles with the exception of a few months in NJ. It has always been hard for me to really settle in and feel like I was “home.” Many times I was barely unpacked before I was packing again. Most of my moving was during my teen years to early 20′s. The result was that I quit high school too early, but fortunately, I took a great free online course that enabled me to get my GED fast!
When my husband and I got pregnant, we bought a house and after 3 years, we sold it in October and bought what I hope to be our forever home this past December (2013). I’m really looking forward to putting down our roots here and raising our family in my childhood hometown and don’t plan on moving for a VERY long time!
2. I always wanted to be a mom even though growing up, I had zero experience with kids. I was always the “wise” one, the person my friends came to for advice, the one who took care of everyone. My friends called me “mom”–it was pretty funny then. When I was 16 I was told I had PCOS, and that I would likely need medical intervention if I ever wanted to get pregnant. I was pretty worried I would never become a mom but here I am, a mom of 2, and they were both surprises! Good surprises, though!
3. I lost my dad when I was 16 to advanced heart disease. He was 47. His father also died of the same at the age of 48. I had a full blood workup done a few years ago when I went to get life insurance and the results came back with all the indicators that I am putting myself at risk for heart disease. Those results sat in the back of my mind for awhile and finally kicked me in the butt to take better care of myself, eat healthier and start exercising. I would hate to say my life is already half over at just 25. Not happening. Genetics can kiss my ass!
4. I never actually enjoyed writing, in fact, English class was my least favorite with the exception of 11th grade English and a Winterim semester at a community college. I only enjoyed those two classes because of what we read or discussed, NOT because of the writing! I never thought I’d be writing a blog but I’ve really come to enjoy finding my voice, which is still a work in progress, and I find it relaxing… most of the time!
5. I would love to go to culinary school or pastry school, but I’ll never do it. I started my college career studying science education so that’s likely what I’ll continue to do when I return. If I ever actually become a teacher is another story, since I plan to be a SAHM as long as possible. But anyway, I LOVE to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I grew up in the kitchen so I’d love to expand what I know. I can always go to some of the local school district’s Adult Education classes and see how it goes. Glad I got my GED in the first place. My god, am I glad there are online courses that offer free practice test! Something’s better than nothing, right?
So hopefully you found some of these things interesting, they were fun to come up with!
I love to get to know my readers, tell me something about you!